SimpsonHaugh VDI Solution
Since 1987, SimpsonHaugh has created architecture of the highest quality that has transformed our key cities. Based in London and Manchester, the practice’s talented team of architects, designers, visualisers, model makers and support staff work across residential, commercial, cultural, masterplanning and infrastructure typologies.
A creative and bespoke approach is applied to every opportunity. Collaboration with aspirational clients, engaged communities and ambitious design teams is key to harnessing the passion, knowledge and expertise required to evolve powerful yet pragmatic solutions.
In order to achieve this, various BIM authoring tools (such as Autodesk Revit) are used which require GPU Acceleration. The team members needing access to this software include:
- Model Makers
- Support Team
All need access to the same high-quality information in real-time in order to consistently deliver architectural projects of the highest design quality.
“Our working relationship with ebb3 came about through recommendation.”
With a rise in focus on work-life balance generally and the growing expectation of connectivity whatever the location or personal situation, SimpsonHaugh required their team to be able to work remotely and from home when the need arose.
The existing Remote Desktop Protocol (RTP) was felt to be subpar by users and additionally exhibited a host of security issues. SimpsonHaugh sought an alternative solution which would:
- Offer the same performance for remote workers as they would experience at their office workstation
- Provide access to all of the software necessary to complete their tasks
- Be available from any device – desktop, laptop, tablet or mobile
“By spending time learning about our organisation and asking questions, to really understand our challenges, ebb3 were able to provide a truly innovative and bespoke solution that fits our business now and in the future.”
Working closely with SimpsonHaugh, the team at ebb3 designed and built a solution which could be hosted in Citrix Cloud, allowing the team to work remotely and log into their office workstations with ease.
- Citrix’s HDX 3D Pro technology was used as it is optimised for Wide Area Networks (WAN) giving remote users the same experience as those in the office
- The Citrix Remote PC Solution is also extremely secure with all data being encrypted, which mitigates the risk of data compromise
- The Citrix infrastructure also allows SimpsonHaugh to get the most out of the hardware assets they had already invested in, while also assisting them to start their journey into the cloud
“Working with ebb3 has been a partnership approach from the onset. It gives us confidence in moving forward because they have been transparent at each stage and have a vested interest in ensuring we succeed. Our success is their success.”
DAVE MOYES, SIMPSONHAUGH
POWERED BY INDUSTRY LEADING TECHNOLOGY
UNIFIED USER EXPERIENCE
- Architects can access the BIM software and highly graphical data they need from any device, wherever they are
- 3D graphics help to enhance the user experience
A COST-EFFECTIVE SOLUTION
- A hybrid solution allowing the power of physical machines to be used via the Citrix functionality
- Infrastructure now in place to support a full VDI solution in the future
SAFE AND SECURE
- All data is encrypted so there is no concern over sending or receiving it over the internet
- Citrix solutions have user behaviour analytics built in to help detect any anomalies and ensure security policies are enforced
- Citrix Cloud virtual apps and desktops
- Cisco UCS C220-M5SX Chassis
- Citrix HDX 3D Pro to leverage existing physical workstations